May 27, 2008

Chilean Whirlwind

As of right now I'm currently sitting in the airport in Santiago, Chile. I arrived Sunday afternoon (today is Tuesday), and it has been quite a whirlwind. Mostly because I keep losing things. Don't know why, it's out of my character, and I think it's my subconscious way to keep me on my toes and teach myself a lesson. I have not done a lot of photography just yet, but I have done a lot of research and travel plans. Made it to the hostel Sunday afternoon and walked around for awhile getting adjusted, found a little restaurant with soup and a beer, and crashed for the night early. Monday was spent mostly making contacts and travel plans, which have since changed as of today. And today has been a trip of a meeting with the publisher and reporter at the Santiago Times to have the chance to talk with them about the work they've done on the energy crisis in Chile and the proposed dams in Patagonia (the project I'm pursuing while I'm here). It's a step-by-step process, and in a way I'm glad I'm making contacts as I go though making the travel arrangements is stressful. My plans of taking the bus South to Coyhaique have now changed to flying to Puerto Montt and taking the bus to Castro tonight so I can spend the day with some scientists from New Mexico who are studying the volcano in Chaitel, which has evacuated many towns. Then Thursday I'm flying to Coyhaique. That's all the plans for now, and photos are coming soon!

No comments: