May 29, 2008

Chile Travel


So I'm currently sitting in the airport at Puerto Montt, Chile. My flight to Coyhaique was canceled due to the Chaiten volcano. Hopefully it will go tomorrow, but maybe not even then. But it's given me the chance to catch up on some things.
Yesterday with the scientists studying the volcano was fun. Got to see the countryside that I normally wouldn't see. People are only allowed 50km close to the volcano, so there is not much to view there, but it was still interesting nonetheless.
Here is a photo from flying over the mountains and into Chile. For now I'm back to the hostel I stayed in, Case Perla, which is more of a home-stay than a hostel. Down the hall is the parent's and daughter's bedroom, and the bathroom is shared with the family. But it is cozy and warm with a good breakfast, so it's all good with me.
My plans coming up are to make it to Coyhaique and settle in there, then try to meet with different people fro NGOs that are involved with the proposed dam building projects. From there I head even more South to get a good look at the Baker River, one of the two potential homes to the dams, and possibly the Pascua, as well as the towns that will be affected by the project.

No comments: