September 7, 2008

Recent Work

So here is some recent work! Eventually, I'll fill in the holes from the rest of the Chile/Peru adventure and actually finish the editing on the project. But let's be honest... it will probably take me awhile!
After finishing up some high school football swfs to add to the paper's site, and continuing with a LOT of planning and the regular old editing duties, I've been doing a lot of video lately. I have to admit, I still love still photography. I really enjoy the times when I get to shoot probably because I don't have the chance to do it as much. There's something unique about the work, and as one friend put it long ago, it's nice to "walk quietly through the universe." I'm hoping to to get started on more projects this fall that employ a variety of medias.
But I do what the job calls me to do, and have been enjoying video for the most part. Editing it on deadline, however, is by far a different story! There could always be something better, just as a lot of us feel about our daily still photography.
I've found that my system is to capture what I need, then cut down the interviews, then put together those in a storyline, adding the other footage as I go. I generally work in "chapters" throughout a video piece, and as I finish each section I go in and put the final touches on it. This helps me to know what the style will be from the beginning. Once done, I then decide whether or not still photos will add to the video, and how to fit them in.

Anyways, here are some recent projects:

Washington & Lee vs. Nandua I will be doing one of these each Friday night for the entire High School Football season, as will the Web video staff.

Not a bad way to spend a day. Plus I shot two days worth of photos for the print newspaper.

The Library of Congress opened this neat place near Fredericksburg.

No comments: