September 26, 2007

EWaste Documentary



This is my first documentary! The project was under the umbrella of The Digital Age and its Underpinnings. I decided to focus on EWaste. It was interesting learning to use the camera and think in motion, sound and still framing. It still needs some tweaking, but here's a basic edit.
One of the things I learned, that made a lot of sense to me at least, is that when making a documentary and shooting it in the verite style (what I compare to shooting as a photojournalist), it's as if your right hand is doing the shooting and your left hand is doing the editing. Go out and shoot the footage, getting everything. Think on the side about where you want to documentary to go. Once both are done, put the two hands together.

3 comments:

Mike Morones said...

Yeah Becky!

Good job on an interesting and certainly underreported topic. I hope all else is going well and you are actually getting some downtime instead of your usual high-speed approach! talk to you soon...

kim said...

wow. it makes me want to jettison it all into outer space or something... let the martians deal with it! but seriously, great topic... hope everything is going well.

Anonymous said...

B: Well done. Now I know where all this stuff goes. Also finally had a chance to see all the good work you've been doing. Hope all is well on your end. RD